Before the outbreak of World War I, the place where the building of the Krasnystaw Community Centre is currently located was not built-up. At the end of 1915, on an empty square, the Austrians arranged a fuel park fenced with mesh and barbed wire. The object is perfectly visible on the Austrian plan of Krasnystaw from 1918.

Most likely, in 1938, on the property at the then Lubelska Street, in the place of the liquidated fuel depot, on the initiative of the Krasnystaw Merchants Association, the construction of a brick two-storey building for the seat of the Merchant's Club began. The building was designed by the Lublin engineer Stanisław Podkowa. It had cellars and it was original in shape, because its corners were round glazed two towers. At the beginning of 1941 the Germans became interested in the object. In the years 1941 – 1944 they used it, having previously adapted its rooms for storing various materials. Periodically, the German army also barracked in it.

In fact, the first place called ‘Community Centre’ functioned in Krasnystaw, most likely since late autumn 1944. It underwent a provisional renovation to create rooms for the work of the Department of Culture and Art of the District National Council in Krasnystaw, created on August 14, 1944.

In the early spring of 1945, the District Public Library was established in the ‘Community Centre’, headed by teacher Maria Kosiarska. In 1947, the library had 2547 books. In July 1970, the library was moved to spacious and modern premises on the first floor at 23 Okrzei Street.

The fact of appointing the board at the beginning of 1953 should be taken as the date of commencement of the work of the Community Centre in Krasnystaw. It’s name was soon renamed to the District Community Centre. A cinema was also moved to the renovated facility. The adoption of the institution under the city budget in 1975 resulted in the change of its name to Krasnystaw Community Centre. Its first director (no longer the manager) was Tadeusz Kiciński.

As part of its own activity at the end of the seventies, KDK had 17 clubs, teams and interest groups associating a total of 520 people. During the year there were about 200 different types of events. Folk art developed more and more.

Gradually, the reconstruction was suspended due to martial law. In the first dozen or so days of its duration, ZOMO officers were barracked in the KDK premises. At the end of 1981, guests in uniform were checked out. At that time, the institution did not conduct activities, because it was banned in most institutions of social life until mid-January 1982.

In 1983, the construction works planned four years earlier started again. The employees created a room for a café with their own money, which functioned almost until the end of the nineties. On April 18, 1985, there was a comprehensive acceptance of the construction and installation works of the first stage consisting in the modernization of the facility.

On September 1, 1987, a music school was established in the added KDK wing, which initially was a branch of the school in Chełm. A great advocate of the establishment of this institution was Prof. Mariusz Dubaj, who became one of the first music teachers. On January 1, 1990, the Krasnystaw branch of the music school was renamed the State Music School of the first degree.

The renovated KDK building created opportunities for the development of the facility. They were used by the new director Andrzej Leńczuk, on whose initiative in the years 1993 – 1994 the Krasnystaw Cultural Centre Choir and the Youth Wind Orchestra were created. In 1991, director Leńczuk initiated the "Gloria Vitae" concerts in the church of St. Francis Xavier.

Time and technological progress will inevitably dematerialize everything that until recently was beautiful and modern. So it was with the house of culture. In the spring of 2011, the long-awaited comprehensive renovation and modernization of the KDK facility began. The project was designed with the most modern solutions. Thanks to that, the Krasnystaw Community Centre after 59 years from its foundation has gained a new face, arousing admiration throughout the region. The renovated and modern auditorium offers 219 spectators not only the latest 3D display technology, but also advanced sound system and lighting. There is also a professional theatre stage with facilities. The official opening of the new Krasnystaw Community Centre took place on 9 October 2012.

Currently, in KDK you can see films in the highest digital quality, watch theatrical performances or operettas or listen to concerts of the best Polish artists. In KDK cultural education for all age groups – children, youth and adults is currently carried out. At present, there are over 20 different forms of activity. Among the permanent forms of work, creative forms have an advantage, in which participants can improve specific creative skills (m.in folk dance, art, handicrafts, various musical forms, vocal or theatrical classes) and broaden knowledge of a given field of interest (regionalism, photography, film, art). In KDK there are teams and activity clubs. There are also associations at KDK. It is the organizer of several dozen events ranging from local to nationwide, the largest of which is the National Festival of Hoppers and Brewers ‘Chmielaki Krasnostawskie’.


Quick Info

  • title meta



More interesting places

The former men’s gymnasium

The manor complex

The castle in Krupe

The town hall