We do not know the exact date of arrival of the Augustinians to Krasnystaw. We know with certainty that the buildings of the Augustinian church and monastery, erected in the years 1394 – 1434 and existing to this day, were founded by king Władysław Jagiełło. They were built of stone and bricks in the Gothic style of a defensive character and situated next to the Piast castle. Monastery buildings were located within the city walls. The monastery and the church of the Holy Trinity included in the complex are the oldest existing sacral buildings of the Krasnystaw land. In 1449 the complex was destroyed by the Tatars, but already in 1458 it was rebuilt by Kazimierz Jagielończyk. Subsequent rulers: Aleksander Jagielończyk and Zygmunt August, appreciating the missionary work of the Order, granted it numerous privileges and generously endowed it. The Augustinians were well educated, because the Order imposed the obligation to study. Just as the Dominicans and Franciscans they had the right to confess and proclaim the word of God, which was probably their main task, because the area of the Diocese of Chełm required a great deal of missionary work. Pope Boniface VIII granted the Augustinian Order special privileges, namely the right to establish cemeteries in his monasteries, where every believer could be buried.

Since 1648 there were terrible and destructive wars in Poland. In the east of the country, a Cossack rebellion, started by Chmielnicki, broke out. The Ukrainian rebels showed no mercy. Churches, mansions and entire provinces were burned, castles were demolished. Priests, monks, nobles and simple people, including women and children, were murdered. Everything that was Polish and Catholic was destroyed. The Cossacks, unable to conquer Zamość in 1649, plundered, among others, the Krasnystaw land in retaliation. After conquering Krasnystaw, they completely ravaged it, also burning city files.

In the spring of 1657, the Hungarian soldiers of Prince Rakoczy and the Cossacks accompanying them ravaged Krasnystaw and burned the Augustinian monastery. At that time the archives of the Augustinian Order gathered in the monastery burned down. In the years 1755-1766, thanks to the great benefactors of the Order, who was, among others, Katarzyna Radziwiłłów from Sobieski, the church of the Holy Trinity was renovated, while the monastery was built from scratch.

After the dissolution of the Order of Augustinian priests by the tsarist authorities in 1864, its rather substantial property reaching 700 morgs of land was parceled out. The clerics were allowed to keep only liturgical vestments, books from the rich at that time library and paintings of saints. The facilities, transformed into barracks, were taken over by the Russian army. In the interwar period, a communication company of the Polish Army was located in the barracks. Today, this place is under the management of the Tadeusz Kościuszko High School Complex No. 1. At the present Zamkowa Street, the remains of the once impressive church and monastery complex of Augustinian priests have been preserved.

Quick Info




More interesting places

The former men’s gymnasium

The manor complex

The castle in Krupe

The town hall